Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Animal Lover

Juztiny is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help to foster the little kitten

This morning I rescued a kitten on the street, took it to vet and check, it is about 1 month+, kind of healthy except skinny and under nutrition and have some cold.

I cannot keep the kitten, as my home is really not cat friendly at all, I have 5 dogs at home. The kitten is really traumatize by my dogs barking sound at home, refused to eat or drink. Anyone would be able foster this kitten, do let me know, 012-2022115. I lived in Cheras area.

The kitten is a male with Himalayan look and a pair of blue eyes.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Help to foster the little kitten

Hi daniella. I hope you find a fosterer soon but if you still don't have one by next week let me know. I'm fostering 4 kittens right now so i can't help you right away but if 1 or 2 of my foster kittens get adopted this weekend I'll be more free to help you.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Animal Lover

It has been a day, the kitten doesn't want to eat or drink..can see the kitten is getting weaker... I tried hand feed and force, it refused to eat. I tried soak the cat kibbles with milk, the kitten also not interested. I'm not experience in handling cat actually....any advice?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Because the kitten is so young it might find wet food more appetizing. I usually feed kittens that are 1 to 2 months old wet canned kitten food. They gobble this up. Please try this instead.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
PetFinder Fosterer

Mia_Katz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztiny View Post
It has been a day, the kitten doesn't want to eat or drink..can see the kitten is getting weaker... I tried hand feed and force, it refused to eat. I tried soak the cat kibbles with milk, the kitten also not interested. I'm not experience in handling cat actually....any advice?
hai Juztiny... u can try buy a/d Hill Prescription Diet. It's 4 cat/kitten that sick or after surgery. Only vet sell this can food.
U have 2 force feed d kitten every 3 to 4 hours. Use syringe. Give alot of water.
Do your best. It's not ezy taking care kitten without mummy cat.

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Animal Lover

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the kitten loves the can food. Phew..at least he is eating now...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM
PetFinder Guru

What a relief. At first when i saw that you had replied to the thread i was afraid to read it! I was scared you had sad news. Thank god the little kitty is eating. See? You're doing fine with him!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi justinyz

good work. if the kitten is eating wet (canned) food then at least it's getting some liquid into its body. glad that someone else answered your post in time. i saw it yesterday morning when i started work but dare not answer immediately lest someone else noticed that i was not working! but glad that it worked out in the end.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Glad to hear that the kitten is eating now, Juztiny.

I have something to add to Mia_Katz's suggestion about using a syringe. If you use a syringe, insert it at the corner of the kitten's mouth, and just drop a bit of liquid in at a time. Don't plunge too much liquid in as kittens or adult cats, for that matter, as the liquid can go into their lungs and they'll 'drown' in their own liquid.

I learnt this from the vet when I was syringe feeding Blackie and Brownie at 3 days old. Also, don't hold it like a baby. Instead, lie it down on its belly, if you ever have to force feed a kitten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Katz View Post
hai Juztiny... u can try buy a/d Hill Prescription Diet. It's 4 cat/kitten that sick or after surgery. Only vet sell this can food.
U have 2 force feed d kitten every 3 to 4 hours. Use syringe. Give alot of water.
Do your best. It's not ezy taking care kitten without mummy cat.

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

dear blackie

thanks for the tips on feeding using syringe. i learned to feed at the corner of the mouth but not that part about not holding it like a baby. no wonder nicky vomitted out his water and his medicine!

juztiny, sorry about typo error on yr name, i've being feeling "duh" lately.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks all for the concern and kind advice. The kitten is gaining its appetite now, drink quite a lot of water and eat the soaked cat kibbles too. I guess it is now recovering from the cold....

Poor kitten do not have much space to roam about, I put him inside a 3 x 2 cage for its safety because of my dogs presence. I really hope somebody could adopt him soon....
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi have you made him a profile? He sounds adorable. I don't think it would be too hard to find a permanent home for him. Himalayan looks right? I hate to say this at the risk of sounding shallow but there are lots of people out there interested in kittens that look unique or may be mixed with some expensive breed.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Hi juztinny

lynie is right, if you create a profile for the kitten then you reach out to more potential adopters.

and also lynie is right - sad but the ugly truth - there are quite many people out there who's only interested in adopting a kitten because of "cute" factor or because of the "pedigree" factor. you can highlight and bold himlayan [B]MIX[B] but they'd only see himalyan, you'd be having lots of queries in no time.

to share my experience : i had several queries for samantha because of the world "siamese" and one even "shouted" me for not posing her pic there. he asked : "is samantha a siamese? does she look like a siamese? any pics , if she looks very much like a siamese then i want her" so i replied asking him whether he'd still be interested in samantha if she doesn't look like a siamese, then he replied in uppercase - "do you have a photo of samantha or not???". needless to say such moronic gesture does not warrant the dignity of a reply from me.

however you may want to ask them to PM you with their details i.e. name. contact number, their background and experience in caring for a kitten, their commitment to the kitten, etc..instead of giving out your hp number directly. this way, you can avoid insincere calls from persons (mostly males) who see a female name at the end of the Hp! i had several experiences of this also.

sorry to scare you but thought to share with you
Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Animal Lover

Actually what is the difference of Siamese and Himalayan...I thought they are both look alike...

My sister does keep a cat as pet...but I do not want to let her take care of this kitten as she is very stingy only feed her own cat with left over food...

One of my neighbour did keep cats, but lately all her cat died..my maid was suggesting to me to give it to that neighbour. I do not think that neighbour is a responsible owner...most likely she lets her cats out to roam on the street until got killed or the cat went out eat the poisoneous rat or whatsoever.

Oh..no..I'm so picky, in the end the cat might not get adopted at all...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

hi juztiny

join the club we're all very "picky" and "choosy" when it comes to potential "suitors" for our foster furbabies because we want to ensure that they will be going to the correct home where they will be free from suffering and will enjoy happiness. therefore it may involved a bit of "hassle" (depends on how you see it, it may be slightly more love and effort) but we'll definitely find a good home.

if you are in a situation to foster the kitten longer,don't be in a rush to rehome it because the kitten may end up with a non-caring person or an ignorant person who only awnt to haev a kitten for his/her ego's sake.

you should see the questions i asked potential suitor - ask lynie she's even better! and yet she manages to rehome her babies to good parents!

one of these days, lynie, i gotta meet up with you and you gotta share with me how you do it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleywong View Post
hi juztiny

join the club we're all very "picky" and "choosy" when it comes to potential "suitors" for our foster furbabies because we want to ensure that they will be going to the correct home where they will be free from suffering and will enjoy happiness. therefore it may involved a bit of "hassle" (depends on how you see it, it may be slightly more love and effort) but we'll definitely find a good home.

if you are in a situation to foster the kitten longer,don't be in a rush to rehome it because the kitten may end up with a non-caring person or an ignorant person who only awnt to haev a kitten for his/her ego's sake.

you should see the questions i asked potential suitor - ask lynie she's even better! and yet she manages to rehome her babies to good parents!

one of these days, lynie, i gotta meet up with you and you gotta share with me how you do it.
I'm a worrywart that's why! And i found great articles about interviewing potential adopters on the net. So i narrowed it down to 18 important questions to ask them. I'm sure people must think i'm a crazy animal lady. By the way ashley you've found fantastic homes for your foster kids. First class! The kitties are very lucky. We can't be too careful. Lots of psychos out there.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

quick lynie

share with us the secret of your success! which 18 questions? sort of questionaire? that's good. if you wanna keep it secret, you can PM only juztiny and me i've trawled the net but haven't come across such lists of questionaire questions, must have searched in the wrong place.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Animal Lover

Ya..do share with me how to ask the right questions...I really do not want this cute kitten being abandon again after being adopted.

Last time I let a guy to adopt my sister's bunnies, and then that guy called me up after 2 months asking for any more bunnies for him to adopt, and told me that the bunnies I gave him already missing...so I asked him how did that happen, he doesn't even know whether they were stolen or eaten by a dog/cat. That showed how irresponsible he is...sigh...those bunnies are hotot and lionhead bunny. He just left them unattended inside his open space compound.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hello! I'll send you and ashley those questions and some useful links tomorrow k. They're on my computer at work.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
PetFinder Guru

Daniella and Ashley, i have PMed you guys the questions and links already. check them out!!