Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Animal Lover

jedy83 is on a distinguished road
Default Defects.. is it harmful for my kitties?

Well its been almost 3 month my Lulu gave birth to 3 adorable kittens, but there's 1 kitten yg ada defects, i mean an extra amount of meat right at the middle of the kitten's belly.. is it Harmful?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Defects.. is it harmful for my kitties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedy83 View Post
Well its been almost 3 month my Lulu gave birth to 3 adorable kittens, but there's 1 kitten yg ada defects, i mean an extra amount of meat right at the middle of the kitten's belly.. is it Harmful?
Hi, Jedy83,

The lump at your kitten's middle may be a hernia. (A hernia is a small gap in the abdominal muscle that allows organs to slip through, creating a bulge on the tummy.)

At 3 months, your kittens are due for their first vaccinations anyway, so I would recommend taking them to your vet and asking him to look at this kitten's belly at the same time. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Jedy83,

The lump at your kitten's middle may be a hernia. (A hernia is a small gap in the abdominal muscle that allows organs to slip through, creating a bulge on the tummy.)

At 3 months, your kittens are due for their first vaccinations anyway, so I would recommend taking them to your vet and asking him to look at this kitten's belly at the same time. Good luck!

Hi Jedy83!

Hi Maneki Neko! I have been very busy at work and idling from petfinder for quite some time, but Ive always read this forum from time to time

Jedy83, I think from your explanation it is cat's hernia, like my cat Eskimo. Better to fix the hernia asap before the hole gets bigger and organs coming out from the hole. Eskimo had his intestines outside his tummy but underneath the skin. The longer you wait will cause the organs to be covered with fat and it will be more difficult to 'tuck' the organs back inside. Here is Eskimo on the first few days after the operation

Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmyrax View Post
Hi Jedy83!

Hi Maneki Neko! I have been very busy at work and idling from petfinder for quite some time, but Ive always read this forum from time to time

Jedy83, I think from your explanation it is cat's hernia, like my cat Eskimo. Better to fix the hernia asap before the hole gets bigger and organs coming out from the hole. Eskimo had his intestines outside his tummy but underneath the skin. The longer you wait will cause the organs to be covered with fat and it will be more difficult to 'tuck' the organs back inside. Here is Eskimo on the first few days after the operation

Hi, Azmyrax! Welcome back -- we've missed you!

We should probably mention that Eskimo is alive and well after his hernia operation, ya? He looks like a dead kitty in that photo, with his paws all sticking up in the air.

Seriously, though, Jedy83, Azmyrax is right: it's best to correct the hernia (if that's what it is) when your kitten is still young.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM
was a cat before

Oh hahahahaha yeah he looks dead in that picture. During the surgery, some of his fat needed to be removed, so basically he had a lipo and lost some weight. I think he was 3kg+ at that time. He had the operation at the age of 6 months. He was also neutered in the same surgery.

The stitches:

This is a month after the surgery and the stitches have been removed:

Now its been 9 months since the operation and now he is 5kg+ and lazy but curious like a cat.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Animal Lover

Thanks everyone.. err.... how much the cost that procedure? definitely have plans to see the Vet for vaccine, azmyrax, my kitten look almost like yours! (the one with hernia..) how old is your cat?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
was a cat before

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedy83 View Post
Thanks everyone.. err.... how much the cost that procedure? definitely have plans to see the Vet for vaccine, azmyrax, my kitten look almost like yours! (the one with hernia..) how old is your cat?
Cost: RM400 (neuter + fixing hernia)
Age: Roughly 1 year 6months (this is just an estimation because Eskimo was adopted from petfinder, when the rescuer found him, he was still a tiny baby about 2months)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Animal Lover

I see... thanks anyway.. will definitely go to Vet for my "hiro" just named him.. Thanks ya!