Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Animal Lover

Divas is on a distinguished road
Default The Problem with Pounds...

I’m writing this to get everyone’s opinion on an idea I have been mulling over for some time now. With the recent events concerning the conditions in local pounds as well as the treatment of dogs in general, my business partner suggested I put it to you guys to see if it is a real possibility. I have no idea (as yet) how the logistics would work or if it is even possible to ever be a reality (although looking at other countries where similar concepts works, there is hope).

Can the pounds be united and (basically) taken over by a united rescue organization? At present we have a government run pound system, organized and maintained by people who are seemingly not dog or even animal lovers.

We also have a number of active rescue organizations constantly struggling for funding and fighting to rescue dogs from the pound only to shift them to a similar (although far far FAR better) place where they are looked after and wait to be re-homed. What little money there is is being spread out to so many places it surely cannot support the infrastructure needed for each, let alone allow them to grow and improve. If instead the entire system for capturing, assessing, rehabilitating, fostering, re-homing, euthanizing, treating unwanted/stray animals as well as proposing new laws or updating old laws on animal welfare, was run by one organization controlled and maintained by true animal lovers things would run a lot smoother and the money would go a lot further.

If you look at other countries (my knowledge is in UK and USA); the main rescue organization (in UK the RSPCA and in USA the ASPCA) are the people called out to rescue animals, they are also the ones called out to capture strays/aggressive/ unmanageable animals, they also have the power to fine and arrest people found to be abusing or neglecting animals. They have a group of employees who are trained to humanely deal with and safely capture animals that are aggressive, stressed, physically harmed or simple scared witless.
They also have in house vets who diagnose and treat the rescued animals who come in (the vets also operate a normal practice where pet owners can go for often affordable treatment for their own pets). Finally they have a network of smaller rescuers and fosterers registered with information on their animal or breed speciality (one fosterer may be an expert in the care of sugar gliders, where as another has many years of experience dealing with and rehabilitating abused large breed dogs).
Animals are then homed in the facility until their temperament is assessed and they are healthy enough to be either re-homed immediately (if they have been spotted) or sent to a fosterer for temporary housing, training and rehabilitating. Adoption drives such as the ones hosted by MDDB would still be held and would also continue to be a forum for education about the welfare of animals and the care they require, although with a larger organization these drives could be held in more areas, more often with more support.

So what exactly am I suggesting?
Bringing all rescue organizations together to form one main body (each organization can keep their individuality and choose to specialize in a specific area of rescue (eg. Orphaned kittens or small dogs with mental trauma from abuse), and then with this one organized body (governed by a board, representing all aspects of animal welfare, vet rep, breeding rep, rescuers, fosterers + animal ‘police’ (employees of the main body trained in the capture of animals) abolish the current pound system and replace it with one run by the rescue organization in a way that cares for the welfare of the animals rather than simply ‘keeping them off the streets’ (what the pound system seems to currently do).

This organization would be responsible for pretty much every aspect in relation to animals and animal welfare within the country including:

-The safe and humane capture of stray, aggressive, troubled or abused/neglected animals.
-Treatment, rehabilitation, fostering and re-homing of suitable animals.
-Humane euthanizing of animals deemd unsuitable or unsafe to re-home (overly aggressive or terminally ill/injured animals that pose a threat to themselves or the general public).
-Providing affordable basic health care for all pets (general checkups, neutering/spaying etc.)
-Organization of Educational events and seminars to train volunteers as well as the general public in all aspects of animal care and welfare. This can include educational events about caring for dogs throughout all life stages and the resources needed to be successful, training days to teach basic training techniques to encourage responsible ownership and canine good citizenship, children’s educational days specifically designed to teach kids how to interact safely with dogs and other animals (as well as how to avoid interaction if that is preferred).
-Awareness of adoption possibilities and reducing the negative thoughts about stray dogs among the general population of dog owners ( a lot of people think strays are somehow ‘worse’ than purebred or even mixed-breed shop bought dogs).
-Proposal of new legislation and updates of old legislation to keep animal law’s applicable to the present.
-Arresting/summoning animal abusers/neglecters/millers and representing the prosecution when necessary in any subsequent court cases.
-Regulation of ownership through control of dog (and all animal) licensing, including significantly reduced licensing fees for spayed/neutered pets to help reduce the number BYB’s.
-Regulating the trade of animals through legal channels (such as pet shops) to limit the number of puppy mill/BYB’s capable of operating (can never be totally removed unless public refuses to buy, will always be someone who wants a cheap deal).
-Regulating and assessing current breeders to ensure the comply with the ‘responsible breeders act’ (legislation that should be put into place to determine how breeding operations are run and the number of litters they can produce in any 1 year period).
-Employment and training of ‘animal police force’ to carry out rescue and assessment of animals on behalf of the organization.
-Working with other current organizations not related directly to the rescue and rehabilitation of animals(such as MKA and MPGA) to assist in the regulation of all aspects of animal welfare (eg. aiding in ensuring only qualified and certified groomers can be employed in a salon).
-Organization and placement of volunteers as well as basic training seminars in animal welfare for volunteers. Active campaigns to encourage younger people (middle and high school) to volunteer such as school holiday volunteer programs.

NOTE: Sorry if this is the wrong forum but thought it was most appropriate here as it relates mostly to rescue and fostering...
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Pak Lubis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Problem with Pounds...

deleted

Last edited by Pak Lubis; 03-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Animal Lover

CanuckinKL2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Problem with Pounds...

I think your idea is very progressive and where animal welfare in Malaysia needs to be heading. It is a very daunting task. It will involve so many people and different organizations. I hope you don't give up on this dream.