Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Unhappy Introduce common house kitten to our E. burmese - Failed.

Ashanta is 24 hrs. very active nocturnal kitten. It is hard for us to wake up early for work since we are up all night. We feel pity if she's alone playing and jumping on top of us to catch attention - even found dead beetle on top of our blanket early morning.

My husband and I decided to take one kitten for her to play with.
So, last 2 days ago, took one kitty from BONTON and the vet advised me, since my kitten is Burmese he ask me to take it 24 hours, if it's ok with Ashanta, the kitten is ours for free. He gave me the most friendly kitten in his shelter. This kitten is friendly with big dogs and cats.
He's a cute handsome kitten and very playful. I like the black and white stripes that I rarely see in common house cat.
He's very sweet to Ashanta and me although I like him but it didn't work out with Ashanta.

Her dilemma started when she kept growling to the new kitten inside the carrier.
She can't play with him and she's having stress a lot until she didn't eat or drink, poo and pee. She kept growling even she sleeps. Her furs just grew back ,went dropping out rapidly,again. She became restless kitten.
If I hold her, she is so angry and she just keeps growling.
My husband is very worried since he's away for business trip in KL.

Whenever my husband called up, I put it loudspeaker and Ashanta will listen and she replies with a loud of meow & purring when she heard his voice.
But Ashanta's stress grew more the next day.
Even the kitten keep trying to play with her, she just kept hissing and growling until she hid herself on top of our cabinet.
I can't make her to go down since It's so hard to reach her in tight space until called my hubby to pacify her when she heard him talkin' and she comes slowly to the hand phone, I grabbed her paws.
A big growling started until we both cannot pacify her.

We decided to return the kitten to his former foster with sadness for both of them -the kitten and Ashanta.

Ashanta is doing more better now and the vet told me that Burmese got a lot of personalities we have to deal with - but they are one of the smartest cat.
We still both don't know why Ashanta is the only kitten can't accept this friendly cute kitten.

Do you have any ideas? Please share it with us.

Thank you.

Last edited by Marcelleve; 11-29-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce common house kitten to our E. burmese - Failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
So, last 2 days ago, took one kitty from BONTON and the vet advised me, since my kitten is Burmese he ask me to take it 24 hours, if it's ok with Ashanta, the kitten is ours for free. He gave me the most friendly kitten in his shelter.
Hi, Marcelleve --

Blackie007 posted a couple of articles in a thread some time ago about introducing a new cat into your household, and others contributed their experiences, as well. There's a lot of good advice in the article, even for acclimating your first cat.

The thread is here: http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4317

I had a very dominant and territorial adult female cat when I adopted a second one. It took me 10 days of keeping them in separate rooms with only scent introductions before they met. I had very little hope that they would ever tolerate each other, but I got a lot of encouragement and stern advice to be patient from my PF friends. It paid off -- my two cats nap together and groom each other nowadays. Watching them play is by far the best entertainment in town!

In short, I would follow the advice in the thread, especially in post #8, and take it slowly. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Introduce common house kitten to our E. burmese - Failed.

Thank you dear.. I will do try again. I appreciate your help. xoxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Marcelleve --

Blackie007 posted a couple of articles in a thread some time ago about introducing a new cat into your household, and others contributed their experiences, as well. There's a lot of good advice in the article, even for acclimating your first cat.

The thread is here: http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4317

I had a very dominant and territorial adult female cat when I adopted a second one. It took me 10 days of keeping them in separate rooms with only scent introductions before they met. I had very little hope that they would ever tolerate each other, but I got a lot of encouragement and stern advice to be patient from my PF friends. It paid off -- my two cats nap together and groom each other nowadays. Watching them play is by far the best entertainment in town!

In short, I would follow the advice in the thread, especially in post #8, and take it slowly. Good luck!